My Blog List

Saturday, February 3, 2007

8th Day, The General Resurrection

THE SIXTH ODE

A prayer of Jonas the prophet

Jon. 2: 3-10

As Thou didst save the prophet Jonas, save us also. O Lord.

From out of the sea monster Jonas cried aloud and said,

I cried unto the Lord in mine affliction, and He hearkened

unto me; Thou heardest my cry and my voice out of the belly of

hell.

Thou didst cast me away into the depths of the heart of the

sea, and the waves compassed me about.

All Thy waves and billows have passed over me.

And I said, I am cast out from the sight of Thine eyes; shall I

indeed I look again unto Thy holy temple?

Water is poured about me, even to my soul; the uttermost

deep hath compassed me about; my head went down into the

clefts of the mountains; I went down into the earth, whose bars are

everlasting barriers.

But let my soul come up from corruption, unto Thee, O Lord

my God.

When my soul was failing within me, I remembered the Lord;

yea, let my prayer come unto Thee, unto Thy holy temple.

Those who observe vanities and false things have forsaken

their own mercy.

But I will sacrifice to Thee with the voice of praise and

thanksgiving; whatsoever I have vowed for my salvation, I will pay

unto Thee, O Lord.

Glory. Both now. Alleluia.

No comments: